His Mother Told Me I'd Never Be Bored
"Is that about as slow as you can pedal?" I asked Joe as he rode his surf bike toward the paddle boat.
He didn't even have time to answer before "Splash!" and he was gone! Just disappeared beneath the surface of a gigantic Swiss lake!
The surf bike was an interesting apparatus. Imagine a surf board with a bicycle seat and bicycle handlebars on it, just no wheels. Pedaling moves a small propeller beneath the board that moves the surf board across the water. Easy.
"Oh no! Where did Papa go?" Celeste cried out from the safety of the paddle boat. At age 10, she was sensible, and knew enough about the world to know that one shouldn't be on a giant lake without a life jacket. In fact, she was so sensible that she tried to caution her father when he saw the shop that rented surfbikes.
"I don't know, but I'm sure he'll be up in a second," I replied as calmly as I could manage. Sure, this happens all the time. We're visiting a foreign country, and my husband, father of our two kids falls into the lake from the surfbike that he just had to rent.
In a split second I recalled his lovely mother telling me on the eve of our wedding that once married, 1. I couldn't give him back, and 2. that I'd never be bored. And, once again, on postcard-perfect July day on Lake Lucerne in the Swiss Alps I WAS NOT BORED! Instead, my mind ran through thoughts like a Rolodex: What do I do if he doesn't come up? How will this trauma affect these two children? How does one get a body back to the USA? And finally, Do not drown on my birthday!
Just as my mind raced through these dark, morbid thoughts, he resurfaced. Thank you God!
Of course, the kids were as relieved as I was. He got into the paddle boat, and as Charlie and I pedaled, Joe held the bike alongside and towed it.
Charlie gave me one of his looks that I'd seen so often in twelve years. It said, "I really can't believe that he thought this was a good idea. And yet, I can believe it because this is my dad."
As we settled down and laughed a little, we noticed that Joe's glasses were not on his face. No doubt still falling slowly through the deep aqua water to lie forever at the bottom of the lake.
And then Joe asked sincerely and benignly, "Does anyone else want to ride the surfbike?" As if this was the greatest thing ever!
"No!" we all three shouted.
There were many blessings that day: He resurfaced and was fine, though his passport was soggy and the glasses were gone forever. The Swiss government requires that children wear life jackets, so our two had life jackets, (though we two adults did not). And most important, my two children are not as nutty as their father and declined his invitation to ride the surfbike.
Betsy - What a funny story! Your rendition of this personal experience kept me very entertained as well as wanting to read more. I like how you start the story off with dialogue. I also like how you define and describe a surfbike because I have never heard of this before. The way you describe it as an "apparatus" is great as well! Another thing that helped me keep track of your inner thoughts and other events in the story was how you italicized your inner thoughts. I often struggle with how to do this in my own writing. I will have to try it this way. It took me a minute to figure out what had happened when he fell, but I think you did that on purpose? To make the reader have to put the pieces together. Your reflection at the end was also very heartfelt and wrapped your narrative up nicely. Thanks for sharing such a great story.
ReplyDeleteThanks Angelene! I didn't intentionally make it vague about when he fell. I'll have to look at that again and see whether I want to be more direct about what happened.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your feedback!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBetsy,
ReplyDeleteLet me begin by saying that the title for your story was very intriguing. It left me wondering a lot about the direction your story was going to go in and I love how you tied it back in later in the story. I also enjoyed how you opened your story with dialogue. I always tell me students that this is a good way to hook the reader, and it hooked me. I wonder if maybe you could develop your children's characters a bit? I have clear ideas in my head about your husband and you as characters in this story, but the children are not as fully developed in my reader's mind. I also enjoyed at the end where you made the comparison of your children not being as nutty as your father, but rather more practical (maybe like you?)
Thanks Blakelee! You're right. The kids are just bumps in the boat at this point. I'll revise this and try to enliven their characters. I really appreciate your input!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Betsy!
ReplyDeleteThis was joy to read! It actually made me think of my Dad and how ridiculous his antics can be at times. I really enjoyed your internal thoughts as he was underwater. It amazes how significant others can start to worry so fast when something may potentially be wrong. How long were you on vacation in Europe? I wonder if your husband will or has ever tried the surfbike again?
Cody,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your feedback. He hasn't tried the surfbike again, but there have been plenty of adventures! On that trip we were gone for about a month. I figure that once you get to a far-off place, you should see as much as possible. The beauty of school-free summers!